Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rocklands Barbeque and Grilling Company- Arlington, VA


"No Gas, No Electricity." That's part of the philosophy at this joint in the heart of Arlington, VA. How can I verify this? The large stack of hickory and red oak logs sitting in the front of the kitchen was a pretty good indicator.

So why the heck has it taken me so long to find this joint right in my own backyard? Better yet, why has it taken me so long to stop in this joint since I see it just about everyday on my way home? My expectations were not high for Rocklands. How could BBQ in the middle of a cityscape be any good? Well they showed me.

I ordered the Belly Buster: two ribs (I got four), sausage, quarter chicken, brisket. I really wanted to order the Texas Corn Pudding, but I feared I'd have little room in the belly for a side dish. Sweet tea...check. Intriguing sauce with onions and garlic....check. Plate...no check. The platter came out on wax paper and aluminum foil. That is a signature move for a Texas BBQ market. Very easy clean-up. Blah, blah, blah...let's get to the real deal.

The brisket had a nice crust and was pretty lean. I prefer my brisket to be on the non-lean side, but it did not bother me at all. The sausage was really good as was the chicken and the ribs. It all had a beautiful deep-smoke taste...a taste that stays with you for hours.

I'm afraid this will not be my last time to Rocklands. I have a "hankerin'" for that corn pudding and some more hickory-smoked meats.

No comments:

Post a Comment