Thursday, March 5, 2009

Little Richard's Lexington BBQ- Winston-Salem, NC

Yep, I'm back in North Carolina. My entries are based on places I visit during work trips. And lately, I've spent a lot of time in the Tar Heel State. And we all know that means two things: pork and vinegar.

After seeing the menu at Little Richard's and comparing it to its North Carolina cousins, I'm convinced cows are more sacred here than in India. You just won't see beef on a BBQ menu. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if the hamburger I did see on today's menu was made from pork butt.

On to the review....two things drew my attention when I rolled up. First, the chimney and smoke billowing out. Either a new BBQ Pope had been elected or there was some real smokin' goin' on inside. Second, there were signs all over saying that mini-Rich doesn't take credit cards or debit. Hey, I'm cool with a restaurant staying old school....as long as you tell me that before I hit the register.

The BBQ (aka. pork shoulder) comes in three varieties: chopped, sliced, and coarse. The chopped I saw looked more like "blended". So I went the coarse route with a side of hush puppies (the french fries of NC BBQ) and coleslaw. Thankfully, they kept the sauce to the side and on the table. No sauce gives me a chance to taste the true smoking talent of the guys and gals behind the hot plate. I can say our friends are doing a pretty darn good job. The BBQ was very tender and not overcome by a vinegar-based sauce. I eventually added some sauce to the pig. It was nice. I took a gander at the ingredients in the sauce. Want to take a guess at the main ingredient? Number two was ketchup. Huh? Come to find out that North Carolina BBQ is actually regional. I was told by a resident that eastern NC BBQ is much heavier on the vinegar while western NC BBQ has some tomato parts. But don't kid yourself....vinegar is still the head honcho north, south, east, or west in North Carolina.

Good job, Little Richard, I'll let Miss Molly know she can get some good Demon Deacon barbecue at your joint.

No comments:

Post a Comment