Friday, February 13, 2009

Ole Time Barbeque- Raleigh, NC

My venture back to Raleigh/Durham provided an opportunity to try the culinary curiosity that is North Carolina barbecue. This BBQ is so far from the amazing flavor that is Texas BBQ....but not in a bad way.

First off all, it's all about pig. There wasn't an ounce of beef on the menu at Ole Time BBQ. Second, the sauce is heavily vinegar based.

So I ordered some chopped pork and ribs with a side of fried okra, potato salad, and hush puppies. When I bit into the pork, I almost spit it out from the overwhelming vinegar taste. It was quite sour. But after a couple bites, I grew to the taste. It was not bad, but extremely different. The ribs came straight off the grill. But from the looks of it, they spent some time boiling. The waitress said they only cook them on the grill with a dry rub.
But there was no way that was the case because there would have been a resemblance of a rub....and it just had a look of boiling. Nonetheless, it was fairly tasty.

Overall, the BBQ was good. But my taste buds will always belong to the mesquite smoke brisket and ribs from the Lone Star State.

No comments:

Post a Comment